Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A Quilt, Some Geese, and Corn Chowder – oh my!

I’ve been working on the backing for a quilt top I finished waaay back when, and I am getting excited to finally see the end result.

blog stuff April 001

My original thought was to use these free-form blocks as part of a “strip” across the backing, and that’s just what I ended up doing.  As they were all different sizes, I added cream color strips on two sides to make them all equal 8 inch squares.  Then I played around with the arrangement until I came up with one I liked, and added the appropriate sized sashing between each one.  I am still mulling over my binding options.  I also need to get some more batting – I am forever running out of batting! It’s the one thing I don’t keep large pieces of on hand.  I just don’t have the room to store it, and it can be pricey to buy large quantities at one time.

Last week ds#1 and I took a quick lunch time trip to a local park to feed the ducks and geese.  What started out as just a few…

Spring 2011 005

quickly turned into this…

Spring 2011 008

Once we ran out of food, we had to run back to the car!  They kept close to our heels all the way to the parking lot!   It made us laugh, but also glad we didn’t get nipped by their beaks!

I’ve got lots on my list to accomplish the rest of this week.  I’m  thinking of ways to streamline the evening meals to give me some more time.  I have a feeling this will likely be on the menu tomorrow or Friday.

Corn Chowder

1/4 lb. bacon

1 cup onion, sliced

1 cup celery, sliced

2 Tablespoons butter

4 cups finely chopped potatoes

1 cup water

2 (1 lb. each) cans creamed corn

2 cups milk

1 (14.5 oz.) can evaporated milk

salt and pepper

Chop and cook bacon in soup kettle.  Remove bacon and set aside to drain.  Add butter to bacon drippings and saute onion and celery until tender.  Add and cook potatoes with the water.  Once potatoes are tender, add bacon, corn, milk, evaporated milk, and salt and pepper to taste.  Heat to boiling point, remove from heat, and serve.

With warm wishes,

Elizabeth

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmm.that chowder sounds good...will try it this weekend....you might also like our cheese muffin recipe...it really is the quickest easiest most yummy recipe...it's on our blog at
    http://incomparablebuttons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete