Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A few projects

Blog stuff 014

This afternoon I found some time to start quilting this smaller quilt that I showed you earlier this month.  I’m just stitching horizontal lines across the width of the quilt without marking it, using my foot and my eyes as my guides.   (I have seen this referred to on several blogs as “organic” quilting.)  I am using a light pink thread for both the bobbin and the upper thread, and although I feel this top says “Easter” to me, I think I will like it when it is finished.  I’ve been auditioning several fabrics for the binding, and I haven’t found anything I like as much as a pure white. 

Blog stuff 010

I also finished up a quick child-sized quilt from some vintage sheet squares.  I have admired these all over blog land, and this is the second one I have made.  The first is a little bigger – more of a lap-sized – but both are tied and self-bound.  They are so soft and cool to sleep with in these hot summer months!

Blog stuff 012

I’ve also been working with my green stash…

Blog stuff 004

The green floral in the middle is from a vintage piece of yardage I found at the thrift last winter.  I love digging through the linen bin and coming up with some great stuff!   I always try to look towards the bottom first, as that seems to be where all the vintage stuff migrates.  I don’t know if it’s because no one around here seems to want it, so it just sinks to the bottom, or if it’s because they are usually smaller pieces and get easily covered up by the huge comforters and such.  I haven’t figured it out,  but nonetheless, I’m happy it’s there for me to find! 

Blog stuff 006

 

I think I will use these as part of a pieced backing.  They are sort of a “free-form” log cabin type block.

 

 

We’ve been enjoying some beautiful weather here today.  It has been very soothing to sit at the machine with the windows open and a light summer breeze blowing through.  I know much of the United States has had its’ fill of incredible heat recently, and I hope  that for those of you dealing with the high temps, relief will come soon.

Happy summer and happy sewing,

-Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment