Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Weekend Planning

Evan's birthday and blog stuff 056

I have yet to replace my pansies as our temps have been mild enough to keep them happy.   I usually fill in my pots and window boxes with some geraniums by the first of June as pansies don’t like the heat.  I just can’t bring myself to pull them out when they are so happy! 

We have two more weeks of school, and the kids are more than ready to be done.  I think Mom and Dad are feeling the same, too!  Lots and lots of activities and open houses and bake sales and field trips and performances and more!  All of which are very good things, but we are all beginning to feel a wee bit stretched.  

I am trying to go into this weekend a little more organized in the meal department so I am gathering the ingredients for a few classic refrigerator salads.  With some chicken breasts on Saturday and a pork roast on Sunday - both done in the crock pot, of course! - I should be set for some easy meals. 

Confetti Carrot Salad

1 lb. carrots, grated

1 (8 1/2 oz.) can crushed pineapple, drained

1/2 cup raisins

1 Tablespoon honey

2 Tablespoons mayonnaise

1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

2 Tablespoons sour cream

Mix together carrots, pineapple, and raisins in bowl.  Add honey, mayo, and sour cream.  Stir in nuts.  Refrigerate.

Four Bean Salad

1 (14 oz.) green beans, drained

1 (14 oz.) yellow wax beans, drained

1 (14 oz.) dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed

1 (14 oz.) garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed

3/4 cup sugar

1/3 cup oil

2/3 cup vinegar

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1 medium red onion, sliced in rings

half a green pepper, chopped (optional)

half a cucumber, chopped (opt.)

In large bowl, combine all the beans and onions (plus optional ingredients).  Mix dressing in separate bowl, and then pour over bean mixture.  Using large spoon, mix to coat.  Chill.

Enjoy!

-Elizabeth

1 comment:

  1. Classic summer salads. I made baked potato salad yesterday and oriental chicken salad. Good food for father's day.

    ReplyDelete