Friday, May 1, 2009

Happy May Day!

On May Day I always think about the old tradition of hanging a  homemade paper basket filled with flowers on a neighbors’ door, ringing the bell, and then running to hide.  I have talked about this tradition with my kids, but we have never actually done it.  However, I do remember doing this with my brothers (and my mom’s help) a couple of times when I was young.   This morning dd#2 and I were out and around and happened across a group of adults and children dressed in medieval costumes, dancing, singing, and making music.  They had a May-pole and several other props.   We couldn’t stay long, but we stopped and watched for a bit.   Even though it was a rainy, foggy morning,  there was a small crowd gathered around.  It was a sweet celebration – a nice surprise for this first May morning.

Since I probably won’t be sharing flowers today, I thought I would share a recipe.

Orange Cake

Whisk together:  2 cups cake flour

1 1/2 cups sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

Add:  1/2 cup shortening or butter

1/2 cup orange juice

2 eggs

Bake in a greased loaf pan for 60 minutes at 350 degrees.

Hyde Park, NY April 2009 004

Happy May Day!

Elizabeth

1 comment:

  1. Hi Elizabeth,
    Thanks so much for visiting my blog and for the nice comments on the car caddy. I've clicked on your followers list and added you to my favorites. Good luck with the new blog, it looks wonderful and I just love your header! I'm east coast girl too, RI.
    Have a great night,
    ~Karen~
    ps thanks for the recipe...it sounds yummy

    ReplyDelete