Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Slowly, but surely…

I am working on my quilt-a-long projects.  Slow and steady, steady and slow has been my mantra for the last few weeks.    I have finally gotten my strips sewn together and cut into blocks for Old Red Barn's quilt-a-long.June July 2009 103   Whenever I sew more than 3 or 4 strips together, I get some distortion.  I always make sure I alternate sewing direction with each strip, but it doesn’t seem to help.  The next time I do strip piecing I’m going to try sewing  groups of three strips together and then join them with another group of three (or two, etc).

Of course, I started another project, too.  This one is giving more immediate gratification - I am almost done!  It is for a small, strip-pieced  bag found hereJune July 2009 104

The pattern is intended for use with the pre-cut Moda HoneyBun strips, but I simply cut my own.  I also didn’t use the fusible fleece called for in the pattern (simply because I didn’t have any), but instead used a sew-in, heavy weight interfacing.  I really like the “body” that the interfacing gives to the bag and will definitely use it again if I make more of these.  (I am thinking of making several  for Christmas gifts.)

Summer is flying by, although we haven’t seen much of summer weather here in the New England states.  It is hard to believe August 1 is just around the corner!  The girls have been a big help this summer and, as a result, I have let them experiment a bit more in the kitchen department.  DD#1 made this dessert a few weeks ago.  Since it uses the crock-pot (and, in my humble opinion, is one of the greatest inventions known to man!), it’s nice for the summer months as it doesn’t heat up the kitchen! 

Triple Chocolate Mess

1 package chocolate cake mix

2 cups sour cream

1 small package chocolate pudding

1 cup chocolate chips

3/4 cup oil

4 eggs

1 cup water

Grease or spray crock-pot with oil/butter.  In large mixing bowl, mix all ingredients.  Pour into crock-pot.  Cook on low for 4-6 hours.  Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.  Serves 8.

 

Enjoy!

Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment