Thursday, June 11, 2009

Fabric, Inspiration, & Sitting Still

Basketball Hall of Fame - May 09 040 

I ran into an amazing deal on a collection of fabric at my local fabric store.  Too good to pass up…waaaay too good.  They are not my usual colors, but I was drawn to them anyway.  Of course, now I’m itching to sew them into something, but I don’t know what…I need inspiration.   I have a yard each, and it is from the Eden Collection.  (Sorry for the blurry picture.)Basketball Hall of Fame - May 09 041 I’ve been eyeing the coffee cozies that have been popping up here and there over the past year, and I really liked Erin's idea to give them as end of the year teacher gifts.  But, can I handle the pressure of one more item on the to-do list?!!  My brother and sis-in-law are expecting their first child in early September, so I’ve also thought about Rae's Itty-bitty-baby-dress.  I’ve also been thinking of bags or summer shirts or sun-dresses for my own girls.

I really should be working on my quilt for Dana's quilt-along, or my nine patches for Amanda Jean's quilt-along.  I really should just let this new fabric sit and make friends with all of the other fabric in my stash.  Sometimes that’s a really hard thing to do – to just let something sit, that is.  It seems that the more “irons in the fire”  I have, the more I want to add another, and another, and another.  I need to remember that sitting can be a good thing. 

Whoa.

Hold up.

Somehow I went from asking for inspiration to telling myself to slow down.  I didn’t intend for this to get philosophical, but yet it did.  (It’s funny, this process of putting thoughts into print.  Quite uncanny in how it brings out your unconscious feelings.  Gonna have to get used to that for sure!)  I’m remembering now about reading something a while back that stated the “busyness” of life can hinder and even block the flow of creativity.  Definitely something to ponder.

So…I’m off to get the kids to bed, curl up on the couch with a cup of tea, and just sit.

 

-Elizabeth

1 comment:

  1. Hi Elizabeth,
    Beautiful fabric...I'm like you, I've bought fabric that isn't usually my colors, but I love them. Have fun with it and who cares about "to do" lists. We have the rest of our long lives to catch up...I say start 15 projects and see where it takes you. I'm thinking a messy sewing room like mine!!
    Have a great day,
    ~Karen~

    ReplyDelete